[flashrom] unsupported main board?

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Sun May 6 14:41:42 CEST 2012

On Sun, 6 May 2012 03:08:25 -0700 (PDT)
AW <arne_woerner at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I tried to write something fancy into those DMI lines (they currently say "to be filled by O.E.M.")...
> but flashrom doesnt seem to support my main board (verbose output is attached)...
>
> is there a trick to change those lines?

Hello AW,

thanks for your report!

We had a similar question a few days ago on IRC.
I am quoting patrick georgi's answer: "[the string] very likely is
generated programmatically at least to some degree - it's also likely that this
piece of code is stored compressed (surrounded by other stuff)". you
can of course try to search for the string in the plain binary dump of
the firmware, but even if you are able to find it, you would probably
have to write a corrected checksum too etc.

Apart from that your log shows that the ME region is locked, which
flashrom does not handle correctly yet. Hence i have added the board to
our list of (un)supported boards (with an appropriate note) and will
commit that later together with other small changes.