[flashrom] Optiplex 380 BIOS read

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Mar 14 00:55:36 CET 2012

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 16:11:21 -0400
sai at rawthrills.com wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am trying to use flashrom to read/write my bios settings.
>
> This is the error that I get when I try to read the BIOS:
>
> Found chipset "Intel ICH7/ICH7R". Enabling flash write... WARNING:
> Setting 0xdc from 0x2 to 0x3 on ICH7/ICH7R failed. New value is 0x2.
> WARNING: SPI Configuration Lockdown activated.
> Setting BBAR to 0x00000000 failed! New value: 0x00e00000.
> PROBLEMS, continuing anyway
> Found Macronix flash chip "MX25L1605" (2048 kB, SPI) at physical
> address 0xffe00000.
> ich_spi_send_command: Internal command size error for opcode 0xab, got
> writecnt=4, want =1
> ich_spi_send_command: Internal command size error for opcode 0xab, got
> writecnt=4, want =1
> Reading flash... Read operation failed!
> FAILED.
>
> When I read through this mail archives, I learned that SPI locked down
> configuration is not possible. I read through the list of supported
> hardware and I could see that MX25L1605 is among the list of supported
> hardware.
>
> But I still not able to read my BIOS settings. Any suggestions would
> be appreciated

Hello Sai!

you are writing about BIOS "settings" all the time. this may be a
translation error. i just want to make clear that flashrom does not
touch/access/handle any so-called CMOS settings but the BIOS software
itself.

you probably read about a very common problem with newer boards (ICH8
and newer), but that is only slightly related to your problem. in your
case the chipset does not allow us to read the flash chip from the
start, but only starting from 0x00e00000.
The errors that follow that warning are a bit confusing to me right now.
Which flashrom version did you use? could you please provide the full
output of flashrom -V thanks.