[flashrom] 80/100/132 column line width policy

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sun Mar 11 16:51:08 CET 2012

Hi,

we're hitting the 80 column limit in our code in ways which actually
reduce readability for the code. Examples are various multiline messages
and complicated nested code where refactoring to a separate function
doesn't make sense.

Keeping the old 80 column limit is not really an option anymore.
Standard terminal sizes have one of 80, 100 or 132 columns.
Given the monitor resolutions many people have nowadays, I think it is
safe to say that you can fit two xterms with 100 columns horizonally
next to each other. 100 columns should also be sufficient for a msg_p*
of roughly 80 columns of text.
132 columns provide more leeway, but IMHO that would be too wide for
good readability (and my screen can't fit two xterms side-by-side anymore).

Of course some files have sections where any column limit is not
acceptable (board lists etc.), but the column limit violations should be
limited to the affected file sections, not whole files.

Comments?
I'd like to get this decided today or tomorrow so we know where we need
line breaks in Stefan Tauner's new struct flashchip patch.

http://www.hailfinger.org/