[flashrom] Realtek NIC (8169)

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Mar 10 11:15:12 CET 2012

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 09:24:33 -0500
Mark Brown <mbrown at greenmountainservices.com> wrote:

> Wonder if there is a way to support the RTL8169 chipset, for SPI based
> programming. Very common and inexpensive card.

we have an untested (probably outdated) patch for it:
http://patchwork.coreboot.org/patch/2489/
the problem is, that there are multiple versions of the chipset. the
earlier revision(s?) have a square package and would support reading
and writing to the flash (and eeprom) chip. the latter and by far more
common version of the chipset does no longer support writing to the
flash chip. if your card(s) have a square RTL8169 chip then i can
update the patch for you to try.

> Would be wonderful to support something like gPXE/iPXE PXE ROMs on those
> NICs. The typical 128kbit SPI rom/eprom/prom variations are often ATMEL
> or like. e.f. ATMEL518 93C64

please note that the chips with "93" in the name like above are eeproms
which are not supported at all by flashrom (please see
http://flashrom.org/Supported_hardware#Supported_chips to get a general
idea what series of memory devices can (easily) be supported).