[flashrom] Report on Flashing Board with Intel H67

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Jan 11 14:01:38 CET 2012

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 03:40:28 +0100
"Peter A. Braun" <peter.braun at pab-braun.de> wrote:

> Hi,

hello peter and thanks for your report!
please do not send html mails to mailing lists. your client seems to
also send a plain text version, but that one has way too much line
breaks in it to be readable (18 line breaks instead of 1 :)

> last night I flashed my MSI H67MA-ED55(B3) with E7676IMS170. As the name says Intel  H67 is the  built in chipset. Flash chip is W25Q64. The flash process worked fine for me.

by working fine you mean that flashrom said "VERIFIED" at the end, i
presume. "E7676IMS[.]170" is the name of the file flashed in the zip
file 7676v17.zip which is version 1.7 according to MSI.
so far so good.

> Two things are a bit strange. Currently I try to investigate the reasons for. Perhaps you have any suggestions.
>
> 1.       Sys fans cannot longer be controlled, because according BIOS parameters are not longer accessible. Currently I don’t know how to get them back.
>
> 2.       After cold booting the disabled “Full Screen Logo Display” is enabled again. It seems to be the default. But other boot parameter are not changed back to default.

the changelog of that bios version mentions "Update CPU smart fan
module". so i guess what you are experiencing is that fine new update ;)
the newer intel chipsets are quite complicated in these regards and
since intel does not specify the update process in detail publicly, it
could theoretically be that flashrom is involved too. i have
experienced similar problems with an intel board (without flashrom
involved) too, so i doubt flashrom is the culprit. try removing all
power from the board (maybe even the small battery) for at least 10
seconds. this resets the embedded controller inside the chipset that is
used for hardware monitoring and that might be powered whenever there
is a power source, even if the computer is turned "off".

one way to test if flashrom might be the problem would be to rewrite the
old version (did you make a backup?) and reinstall 1.7 with MSI's tool.
from my experience if this works it would not prove that flashrom is
the problem, but only if it does not work it would prove that flashrom
is not the problem. the reason is the problems i have seen as mentioned
above.

if you did not have problems with the old version, i would suggest
rewriting your backup with flashrom.

> I attached the result of “flashrom -V” (result.txt).
>

> I hope results are detailed enough to switch entry H67 in your hardware list  onto tested.

this was done already due to an earlier report, but i will add the
mainboard to our list with a small note referencing this thread.