[flashrom] Add timeout check to SPI bitbang bus request

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Oct 15 09:32:52 CEST 2011

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 23:15:09 +0100
Iain Paton <selsinork at gmail.com> wrote:

> Stefan Tauner wrote:
> > AT49BV002A(N)'s ID is 0x07 afaics and that's equal to AT49F002(N)... hm.
>
> tried 7 & 8, 8 for the T version according to the datasheet, but nothing to
> lose trying both

does the log show any other result than 0xff/0x00 (for any chip, if you
probe for all of them)? i think you have not posted a log for that one,
have you?

> > what did you try? does probing with the nicintel_spi code help?
>
> didn't appear to, but I'm assuming that when you did it you left it stuck in
> the loop while you tried the nicintel code ?  Carl-Daniel's patch means it
> doesn't get stuck anymore, so I need to either revert that or try something else.

no, i aborted after entering the loop. the enable method is executed at
startup of the programmer... hm. maybe it gets reversed since then.
carldani added some kind of roll-back mechanism where the code
registers certain actions in init functions etc. that are reversed on
shutdown. but i think ctrl+c just aborts anyway...
after looking at the code... the comments in nicintel_spic.c explain
that the roll-back thingy is not possible, but it does it manually in
the shutdown function, but i am quite sure that this is not called at
all when you abort while probing... so it should be ok. *shrug*

> > so it is certainly not exactly the same problem i had; and i cant
> > help you further right now, sorry.
>
> np, with these being pci cards their usefulness is limited to me nowadays,
> in fact I think they've sat in a box since last time :)  so it's mostly
> curiosity on my part, no burning need for me to solve it.

that was my motivation too... and that's not a very strong one ;)