[flashrom] No luck with a Marvell 88SX7042 (Adaptec 1430SA)

Tim Small tim at seoss.co.uk
Mon Jul 25 21:42:14 CEST 2011

OK, so I've banged my head against this for a while more, but don't
expect to get much further.  Perhaps these notes will be useful for
someone else.

> Reserved[31:28]=0x0

This should be 0x8 apparently, but fixing it up didn't do any good.

> GPIOPortMode=0x0
> Warning! Either the straps are incorrect or you have no flash or someone
> overwrote the strap values!

This indicates that the 88SX7042 is in a mode (presumably set by
Adaptec's custom BIOS after it no longer needed to read flash) whereby
some of the GPIO pins are used to run SATA port activity/status LEDs,
instead of talking to the flash chip.  The code puts the port into flash
mode, and I verified that this "stuck", but still no dice.

Maybe there's some GPIO pokery needed first to put Adaptec's hardware
back into flash mode, but I couldn't see anything obvious when looking
at the card.

Maybe a logic analyser is needed, or maybe running the Adaptec DOS
updater under kvm+vtd to see how it sets up the chip prior to write.  I
don't have either available at the moment unfortunately...

Anyway, my reason for doing this was that I actually want to
wipe/disable the Adaptec flash (since I don't want to use their
proprietary "HostRAID" blurgh anyway, and their BIOS takes ages to
timeout port scans when SATA port multipliers attached and/or their
proprietary RAID metadata isn't present on the drives etc. etc. etc.).

It's probably possible to do this instead by disabling the expansion ROM
PCI mapping at reset time, so I'll attack it that way if I have time....

Tim.