[flashrom] Don't Understand Output

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Jul 24 18:23:33 CEST 2011

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 12:58:19 -0400
Bryan Moore <moore.bryan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm just starting to consider flashing my EeePC 1005HA's BIOS on Ubuntu
> Oneiric, so I installed flashrom and ran it, but can't make heads-or-tails
> of the output; I also can't find any sensible information in the FAQ or
> anywhere else on the web. Help?
>
> flashrom output:
>
> > Found chipset "Intel ICH7M", enabling flash write... OK.
> > This chipset supports the following protocols: FWH.
> > No EEPROM/flash device found.
> > Note: flashrom can never write if the flash chip isn't found automatically.

hello bryan!

well the message "No EEPROM/flash device found." is the most important
thing there. flashrom can not detect any flash chip (which holds the
bios/firmware code).
there can be multiple reasons for that, but all the details do not
really matter. it boils down to the fact, that laptops are harder to
support in flashrom than desktop boards. you can read about a few of the
details here: http://flashrom.org/Laptops

we recommend to not try to update the bios of laptops, but use the
vendor tools instead.