[flashrom] [RFC] flashrom 0.9.4 plans (ck804 situation)

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Jul 20 15:31:42 CEST 2011

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 13:42:03 +0200
Stefan Tauner <stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 03:10:21 +0200
> Stefan Tauner <stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 02:27:36 +0200
> > Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Anything else we need for 0.9.4?
> > > Do we have any other unmerged bugfixes?
> > > Doc fixes? The man page is missing some features.
>
> another thing that should be dealt with is the situation with ck804
> boards. basically it seems as if we should clear one byte on all of
> those to disable some chipset-based write protection.
>
> the board enable committed for the EP-8NPA7I is incomplete. it needs the
> following as well for the oem BIOS(es):
> http://patchwork.coreboot.org/patch/2125/
>
> if that is applied in one way or another, the same board enable also
> works for the EP-9NPA7I:
> http://patchwork.coreboot.org/patch/3176/
>
> if we want to distinguish those two, we would need something similar to
> this, because the pci ids are not enough (but we probably do not):
> http://patchwork.coreboot.org/patch/3131/
>
> another board that relies on the first patch is the ASUS P5N-E SLI
> (although it needs an additional board enable according to joshua).
> it was reported once back when the EP-8NPA7I board enable was developed
> and also recently by Joël Obrecht (who agreed to test any patches btw).

i have applied what i think is the minimum solution that should be done
for a stable release (i.e. 0.9.4) to my tested stuff branch (attached
as independent patch).
- mark the EP-8NPA7I as not working in print.c and add a comment
  pointing to jonathan's patch.
- add the EP-9NPA7I to print.c like the EP-8NPA7I (epox hp is dead btw)
- add the P5N-E SLI to print.c including a note mentioning the patch
  and the need for a board enable.
- add dmi matching to the EP-8NPA7I board enable and mark it as NT...
  there is no "not working" flag, because we usually do not include not
  working board enables in the first place :) i dont want to remove it
  altogether now though and have added a comment instead that also
  points to jonathan's patch. ok?