[flashrom] selective probing?

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Jul 7 11:00:39 CEST 2011

On Thu, 07 Jul 2011 02:39:14 +0200
Bernd Blaauw <bblaauw at home.nl> wrote:

> Whenever I read the verbose logs I see *all* chips being probed, which
> is pretty fast already. Is there any point to "optimise"(?) this amount
> to "per size" ? Possibly followed by per-method?

sizes are pretty uninteresting... we were even discussing dropping its
output in the "probing for" line.

it does not make sense to probe like we do currently. we resend the
same commands over and over again and get back the same answer if
everything works correctly; just to check if the answer matches the
current chip to be probed... fixing this is on carl-daniel's roadmap,
but i don't know any details yet.

> Probably not worthwile, though it would reduce the verbose log by 75%
> Maybe also mirror the user's entered commandline in the log (minus the
> prompt/directory) to allow more eyes to check user's input

true. the first step to get them out of the way was
http://patchwork.coreboot.org/patch/3151/