[flashrom] selective probing?

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Thu Jul 7 02:39:14 CEST 2011

Whenever I read the verbose logs I see *all* chips being probed, which
is pretty fast already. Is there any point to "optimise"(?) this amount
to "per size" ? Possibly followed by per-method?

For example if I'd want to write a 8Mbit BIOS file, only scan for 1024KB
eeproms (determine (uncompressed) BIOS file's filesize). Reading/erasing
is more difficult ofcourse, or not worthwile, requiring you be able to
enter a size parameter.

So from:
* alphabetical name for EEPROM
        * various sizes
                    * various scan methods

To:
* filesize
      * scan method 1
                 * results in some EEPROMS
      * scan method 2
                 * results in other EEPROMS
      -- etc

(this assumes 1 EEPROM only found through 1 method, or 1st method used,
whatever).

Probably not worthwile, though it would reduce the verbose log by 75%
Maybe also mirror the user's entered commandline in the log (minus the
prompt/directory) to allow more eyes to check user's input