[flashrom] Unused functions...

Sean Nelson audiohacked at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 20:47:24 CET 2010

On 3/25/10 4:31 PM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> We have a few unused functions in our codebase.
>
> Should we
> - mark then static (may cause gcc to complain if -Wunused-function is
> enabled)
> - put them inside #if 0 (code will bitrot)
> - remove them from the source base entirely (some may be used in the future)
>
> jedec.c:
> data_polling_jedec (maybe some chip in the future won't support
> toggle_jedec)

It's unused, but you bring up a good point.
> stm50flw0x0x.c:
> erase_sector_stm50flw0x0x (keep?)

We should keep it and fill in it's use for those chips.
> m29f400bt.c:
> write_m29f400bt (hm, probably kill)

We really should be using write_m29f400bt instead of
write_coreboot_m29f400bt, since the coreboot function only utilize the
first four 64k blocks.
> 82802ab.c:
> erase_82802ab (kill, old-style erase)

Maybe convert to erase_chip_82802ab(struct flashchip *flash, unsigned
int block, unsigned int size)
> pm49fl00x.c:
> lock_49fl00x (for the future)

Agreed.
> sst49lfxxxc.c:
> unlock_block_49lfxxxc (strange, don't we use that?)

Might be used later if we move to a unlock block structure.
> spi.c:
> default_spi_send_command (if one chip driver ever supports only
> multicommand)

Keep?
> spi25.c:
> spi_write_status_enable (we should use it, some chips require that)

Agreed.
> spi_write_disable (does that make sense?)

That's kinda like lock_49fl00x.
> spi_aai_write (need some write infrastructure changes for this)

I don't even know what that is.
> spi_chip_erase_d8 (kill)

Maybe keep for future?
> flashrom.c:
> chip_writel (will we ever need it?)
> chip_writen (this one might be usable for a few chip drivers)
> chip_readl (will we ever need it?)
> list_programmers (no idea)
> register_shutdown (needed for ECs)
> need_erase (needed for partial write)
>
> internal.c:
> pci_dev_find_filter (hmmm)

The above functions I don't have an opinion on, since I haven't dealt
with them yet. As for what we should do about the unused functions, I
think we should put them in #if 0. That way we have them around for
later on. OTOH, we should also be stripping out any unused code. If we
strip it out and we need it later, someone could just as easily write a
new, better function.

~ Sean