[flashrom] Status of dediprog support?

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Tue Dec 21 15:31:10 CET 2010

On 12/14/2010 07:48 AM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:

> Steven, you are right about having to read all the datasheets. If you do
> that, can you please extract a list of allowed instructions from all
> datasheets (and if some bits are X/dontcare please write that down as
> well). Such a list will help us a lot if we extend flashrom for more
> programmer types and for dual/quad read/write interfaces. If you can
> check the timing (how many bytes for address/delay/data) sequences for
> the read/write/ID instructions as well, even better!

Seems like multiple categories of READ are going to be a necessity for
flashrom to support chips that have a different read format.

> Richard, Steven demonstrated that a simple check of the Dediprog device
> list against the flashrom device list isn't going to help. Sorry. We
> could ask the Dediprog developers about how they handle chips with odd
> read instructions, but I suspect that it will essentially boil down to
> using the generic command interface instead of the fast bulk interfaces.

Indeed, that complicates things. *Sigh* :( I suppose a chip audit will
be the only way to sort all this out.

Is that something that can start happening soon?  I'm currently on xmas
vacation and have some idle time.  If we have some sort of plan for
dividing up the datasheets among people then I can start going through
some.

Perhaps some sort of wiki table on flashrom.org to keep track?

I don't have a board that I can load an AT25512 onto and hook my
dediprog up to it to see what it does with devices that have different
read structures.

--
Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop per Child