[flashrom] Status of dediprog support?

Steven Zakulec spzakulec at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 14:57:44 CET 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 9:31 AM, Richard A. Smith <richard at laptop.org>wrote:

> On 12/14/2010 07:48 AM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>
>  Steven, you are right about having to read all the datasheets. If you do
>> that, can you please extract a list of allowed instructions from all
>> datasheets (and if some bits are X/dontcare please write that down as
>> well). Such a list will help us a lot if we extend flashrom for more
>> programmer types and for dual/quad read/write interfaces. If you can
>> check the timing (how many bytes for address/delay/data) sequences for
>> the read/write/ID instructions as well, even better!
>>

> Seems like multiple categories of READ are going to be a necessity for
> flashrom to support chips that have a different read format.
>

>  Richard, Steven demonstrated that a simple check of the Dediprog device
>> list against the flashrom device list isn't going to help. Sorry. We
>> could ask the Dediprog developers about how they handle chips with odd
>> read instructions, but I suspect that it will essentially boil down to
>> using the generic command interface instead of the fast bulk interfaces.
>>

> Indeed, that complicates things. *Sigh* :( I suppose a chip audit will be
> the only way to sort all this out.
>
> Is that something that can start happening soon?  I'm currently on xmas
> vacation and have some idle time.  If we have some sort of plan for dividing
> up the datasheets among people then I can start going through some.
>
> Perhaps some sort of wiki table on flashrom.org to keep track?
>
> I don't have a board that I can load an AT25512 onto and hook my dediprog
> up to it to see what it does with devices that have different read
> structures.
>
> --
> Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
> One Laptop per Child

I don't have a wiki account, but I'm fine with however you want to break
them up- I should also have some time over the holidays here to look at some
sheets.  If you'd like to see my previous sheet, it's here:
http://www.flashrom.org/pipermail/flashrom/2010-October/005118.html
If you have any questions, feel free to ask.