[flashrom] JtagKey-Tiny and SST25VF040B detected but read error.

Carlos C eb4fbz at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 02:02:50 CET 2010

Hi,

Sometimes flashrom identifies the flash chip but gives a "RDID byte 0
parity violation". When the probing process ends without RDID error, the
chip status register is incorrectly read as "BF".
After checking the eeprom board one hundred times, i've plugged a logic
analizer into spi lines and logged two ID procceses, one with RDID error
and the other with "BF" status register read.

This is the part of the probbing sequence related to SST25VF040B which
gives "RDID byte 0 parity violation".
     flashrom -p ft2232_spi:type=jtagkey,port=A -V

    MISO Data     0x9F
         MOSI Data     0xBF
    MISO Data     0xFF
         MOSI Data     0x25
    MISO Data     0xFF
         MOSI Data     0x8D
    MISO Data     0xFF
         MOSI Data     0xFF
    MISO Data     0xAB
         MOSI Data     0xFF
    MISO Data     0x00
         MOSI Data     0xFF
    MISO Data     0x00
         MOSI Data     0xFF
    MISO Data     0x00
         MOSI Data     0xBF
    MISO Data     0x00
         MOSI Data     0x8D
    MISO Data     0x00
         MOSI Data     0xFF
    MISO Data     0x90
         MOSI Data     0xFF
    MISO Data     0x00
         MOSI Data     0xFF
    MISO Data     0x00
         MOSI Data     0xFF
    MISO Data     0x00
         MOSI Data     0xBF
    MISO Data     0x00
         MOSI Data     0x8D
    MISO Data     0x00
         MOSI Data     0xFF

And this one for the correct ID, but incorrectly read status register:
     flashrom -p ft2232_spi:type=jtagkey,port=A -V

    MISO Data     0x9F
         MOSI Data     0xBF
    MISO Data     0xFF
         MOSI Data     0x25
    MISO Data     0xFF
         MOSI Data     0x8D
    MISO Data     0xFF
         MOSI Data     0xFF
    MISO Data     0x05
         MOSI Data     0x1C
    MISO Data     0xFF
         MOSI Data     0x1C
    MISO Data     0xFF
         MOSI Data     0xFF
    MISO Data     0xAB
         MOSI Data     0xFF
    MISO Data     0x00
         MOSI Data     0xFF
    MISO Data     0x00
         MOSI Data     0xFF
    MISO Data     0x00
         MOSI Data     0xBF
    MISO Data     0x00
         MOSI Data     0x8D
    MISO Data     0x00
         MOSI Data     0xFF
    MISO Data     0x90
         MOSI Data     0xFF
    MISO Data     0x00
         MOSI Data     0xFF
    MISO Data     0x00
         MOSI Data     0xFF
    MISO Data     0x00
         MOSI Data     0xBF
    MISO Data     0x00
         MOSI Data     0x8D
    MISO Data     0x00
         MOSI Data     0xFF

As you can see, the difference starts after reading the ID (0xBF 0x25
0x8D). Sometimes flashrom sends 0xAB, the eeprom answer with a chunk of
0xFF's and shows a RDID error, and on some ocasions, it sends 0x05 to
get the status register, so the eeprom answer 0x1C twice.

Appart from the RDID error, flashprog is reading 0xBF instead of 0x1C
when asking for the status register. It seems to have some problem with
FTDI buffers or something related, because the electric communication is
perfect. The flash chip is answering as expected.

Any idea?

Regards,
Carlos