[flashrom] Successfully erased and flashed my GIGABYTE GA-MA78G-DS3H

yulrottmann at bitel.net yulrottmann at bitel.net
Sun Oct 11 15:32:10 CEST 2009

Hi,
I used flashrom to flash my new OEM BIOS. My board is a GIGABYTE
GA-MA78G-DS3H (Revision 1).
Thanks for this really nice tool. :)

Flashrom told me that I should confirm on this list if I successfully
erased the BIOS:

"This flash part has status UNTESTED for operations: ERASE
Please email a report to flashrom at flashrom.org if any of the above operations
work correctly for you with this flash part. Please include the flashrom
output with the additional -V option for all operations you tested (-V, -rV,
-wV, -EV), and mention which mainboard you tested. Thanks for your help!"

That is what I'm doing here, the log file is attached.
I erased my flash, then read out and it was deleted. Then I flashed a new
BIOS and rebooted my system. Now I use the new BIOS, F8 instead of F6.

There are two things I noticed:
- Flashrom tells: "Disabling flash write protection for board "GIGABYTE
GA-MA78GM-S2H"... Serial flash segment 0xfffe0000-0xffffffff enabled" This
is not my mainboard, I have a DS3H, but it works anyway.
- When writing to the chip, there is a break where it is not clear what
flashrom does:
"[...] Writing flash chip... Erasing flash before programming... Erasing
flash chip... Looking at blockwise erase function 0... trying... SUCCESS.
done.

[HERE IS A CA. 3 MINUTES BREAK]

COMPLETE.
Verifying flash... VERIFIED."
Maybe you should add a "still in progress" or similar. "Done" looks like
it has completed the whole process.

Also the CPU uses 100% while flashing/erasing/verifying, I don't know it
this is normal.

If you need more information just ask me, but write to my private email
address since I don't subscribe to the mailing list.

Thanks,
Yul Rottmann