[flashrom] flash erase failure

Adrian Glaubitz adrian.glaubitz at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 23 22:01:59 CET 2009

Hi Thao,

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 9:12 PM, Thao Hoang <thao_hoang at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks Adrian for getting back to me.  Here is my motherboard information:
> http://www.ibase.com.tw/2009/MB899.html#features

Good, now we know what mainboard you are using ;).

> I tried to flash the board with the original backup just to make sure it works.  I also did a verify and a read to make sure there wasn't a problem with the bios image so I know nothing got erase.

Ok, that means you didn't brick your mainboard.

> I also went to into the bios menu to see if there I needed to enable bios updating but that didn't work.

Also check if there's a jumper, refer to the manual.

> If this takes too much time for you to answer, don't worry about it.  Or maybe you can lead me to the solution.  I couldn't find enough info on the my ibase board to know if there is a jumper I need to toggle.

Well, the point is that one probably needs to disable write protection
of the flash chip with some magic byte sequence (in case you don't
find a jumper nor a setting in the BIOS setup). And this is something
that needs to be implemented for flashrom. So the best thing you can
do is to provide as much information as possible regarding your
mainboard.

Please provide the output of:

flashrom -V
superiotool -dV