[flashrom] some questions about flashrom in windows edition

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Sun Aug 9 15:57:35 CEST 2009

On 8/8/09 9:31 AM, zhou wrote:
> hello,
>   my honor!
>   I am very interested in the program of flashrom,especially of the
> edition in windows,now I had worked on it for a few months,but there is
> some questions I couldn't understand, I wonder if you could offer me
> some help.
I recently ported Darmawan's Windows port to the latest flashrom svn
tree. Check
http://www.flashrom.org/pipermail/flashrom/2009-August/000229.html for a
patch against r670

> The questions are showed as below:
>       * 1,what's the use of the source code "Board_enable.c"? It looks
>         so strange to me that I hardly understand? How I get something
>         helpful?

Many boards have a hardware mechanism for protecting write access to the
flash  chip. This mechanism can be software triggered by changing a GPIO
line. The code to change these GPIOs is in board_enable.c, for those
mainboards that need it.

>       * 2,In order to modify the program under GNU,how can I test it?
>         And how to debug it in details in windows? Is there any
>         software ?
Not sure I understand what you want to do here. The GNU development
environment contains a debugger, gdb. I think that debugger would also
be available under msys/mingw.
>       * 3,As it is a complex program, where can I find out all the
>         datasheets suitable? Are they free?

Well, some of them are freely available, others are not. For some you
need an NDA with the hardware vendor.

> I am looking forward your answers and please reply as soon as possible .
>                 My best wishes!

Best of luck,

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613