[coreboot] Microcode Updates PSA (New users please read)

Mike Banon mikebdp2 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 22:30:49 CEST 2018

Regarding a NOTE from your last message:
> For microcode embedding in coreboot to work you must check
> both the "generate microcode update from tree" option and the
> "use non-free blob repo" option -
> doing the first but not the second will result in a silent fail.
It works for KGPE-D16 but doesn't work for G505S and maybe some other
AMD boards. Currently the only working way for those "other boards" to
get the latest microcodes is to " xxd -i -c 8 " a microcode binary and
then put this array of hex values into their .c file containing a
microcode ( path like [1] ) . Tired of doing this manually, yesterday
I wrote these microcode updating scripts :
https://review.coreboot.org/c/coreboot/+/28425
AMD microcodes: scripts for applying the unofficial (not-merged-yet) updates
Put those 4 files to your freshly cloned coreboot directory,
run ./get_ucode_patches.sh , ./check... and ./apply... ,
and your fresh coreboot now has the latest microcodes ;-)
But thats only for those "other boards" like G505S. To get the latest
microcode for your KGPE-D16, you may also need to patch its'
microcode_amd_fam15h.bin with a new 2018 microcode which sadly is not
merged yet neither to linux-firmware nor to coreboot

[1] example of a path to .c file with microcode -
./coreboot/src/vendorcode/amd/agesa/f16kb/Proc/CPU/Family/0x16/KB/F16KbId7001MicrocodePatch.c