[coreboot] Matrix instead (or additionally to) IRC

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Sun Oct 28 15:55:55 CET 2018

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 03:10:11PM +0100, Philipp Stanner wrote:
> Hey,
>
> have you guys already heard of Matrix?
> https://matrix.org/blog/home/
>
> It's some sort of modern IRC, using JSON to format messages. It's more
> modern than IRC. Features are:
>  * Source code formatting and highlighting in messages
>  * multiple devices
>  * history + history synchronization between multiple devices
>  * possible E2C encryption
>
> and many more.
> In theory it will be a decentralized protocol, but there aren't that
> many servers yet and actually only one working server-software
>
> Many projects, especially tech-based ones like the Rust programming
> language already use the service.
>
> Personally I think it's an enormous progress to IRC. I would give it a
> chance if I were you :)
>
> P.

Ooh, bait, on a sunday afternoon with nothing better to do. I'll bite.

Matrix is not even 4 years old.

IRC has been good around for just over 3 decades. Many here have been
using it for more than 2 already. Yes, 2 decades. 20 years.

Chat/IM protocols come and go, IRC remains.

After this, someone will come along to suggest that we should all
switch to whatsapp.

Luc Verhaegen.