[coreboot] Coreboots Board Status have privacy issues for contributors

David Hendricks david.hendricks at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 07:41:02 CET 2018

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 9:25 AM <j443i8 at goat.si> wrote:

> I was thinking of contributing to the Board Status but i dont want to
> release any private data and wont contribute now. What is the usage of
> the world to know what mac address the people are using?

Thanks for pointing out these issues.

For what it's worth, the user must use the '-u' option to upload results.
And as Arthur points out you can edit logs and such yourself to scrub any
private data. The script just automates a few steps for convenience, though
obviously we'd like a reasonably uniform data set to compare with. You're
right that we don't need to know anyone's MAC address for coreboot
development; however as others have pointed out a full kernel log is useful
since firmware issues often manifest themselves there (memory map
incorrect, devices not enabled, etc) so it's good to have them for
comparison.

Still, a pause as Mike suggested and perhaps a scary warning or two could
be useful.

Then there can be for example a simple live linux iso that people can boot
> with LAN cable connected. No requirement of installation software, of
> setting things up or anything like that.

There is one - See util/board_status/set_up_live_image.sh .