[coreboot] Further coreboot releases, setting new standards

Arthur Heymans arthur at aheymans.xyz
Sun Nov 25 20:32:00 CET 2018

"Jay Talbott" <jaytalbott at sysproconsulting.com> writes:

> I know I don't post much here, but I feel like I need to chime in on this thread... Perhaps it's time that SysPro becomes a louder voice in the community.
>
> Bay Trail and Broadwell DE are both still very popular platforms, yet
> neither one of them meets the cut for any of the three criteria. So I
> caution against removing the support for either of them too hastily.

Could you test with "select NO_RELOCATABLE_RAMSTAGE"?

> Yes, it can be a pain to keep maintaining old platforms, and certainly support for platforms that are old enough that they are no longer being used by anybody are good candidates for cleanup and
> removal.

It's not about old or new. For instance the Intel i440bx (20y old) is still
supported by coreboot, uses many recent features like POSTCAR_STAGE and
relocatable ramstage, so it would be flagged for cleanup and removal.

> But support for platforms that are still popular and still actively being used by people shouldn't be stripped out of the coreboot code base.

If they are still popular and actively used, it would mean that someone
has interest towards achieving new coreboot standards? Pushing standards
is not really about active use or not but about improving the code base.