[coreboot] POWER9 / Talos II coreboot support?

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Fri May 4 01:02:34 CEST 2018

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 1:20 PM Timothy Pearson <
tpearson at raptorengineering.com> wrote:

> I think I was being a bit pessimistic / too careful here.  We're close
> to getting the docs publicly released, but that doesn't help anyone
> wanting access right now, which is why I mentioned the other route.
> IBM's committed to getting the documentation released, they're just
> making sure that what they release is actually correct for the products
> it covers.
>
> It might make sense to get our "working group" together over the next
> few weeks, by which time the documentation should be available in public
> form.
>
> Are you interested in joining? :-)

of course, but not until those docs are freed up.

Context: I've been trying for 2 years now to get OPAL released under dual
gpl2 licensing with the current apache2 license, apache2 and gpl2 are not
compatible, so we'd be in a bit of a mess should we use OPAL code in
coreboot, and it would be easiest if we were able to use some of that code.

The first response from IBM was "why do you think you need coreboot?" I
worked through that, and there was agreement in the end it ought to happen,
said agreement reached about 2 years ago. Stuff Would Happen, I was told.
After that, silence.

This is pretty much par for the course with Power. In 1990 I spent two
years getting an agreement that would allow me to .... get more agreements.

So close doesn't count. Once I see the kind of docs I need to see, not
requiring a clickwrap, and covering all aspects of every chip on your
board, I'm in: I'll order a board. Until then, I can't really do much.

Thanks for your efforts on Power!

ron