[coreboot] Why do we have FSP-S

Julius Werner jwerner at chromium.org
Tue May 1 20:30:35 CEST 2018

> All the ARM64 boards I've seen that are desktop or higher class ship
> with AMI UEFI and AMI BMC.  Plus they contain their own magic blobs,
> some akin to the ME.  ARM64 is not a panacea either; OpenPOWER's
> actually shipping open POWER9 systems right now with source code.  Why
> not go down that route?

Can we please stop bashing each other about whose architecture is better? I
haven't seen any POWER9 systems of laptop or lower class shipping either.
What makes one more important than the other?

We actually have several ARM64 boards in the repository right now where you
can walk into a store and buy them for a couple hundred bucks, and install
fully open-source blob-free firmware on them straight from the coreboot
master branch. It would be great if the POWER port of coreboot can
eventually see this level of success as well. That's just more choice for
the users.

I have also personally spent a bunch of time arguing with Arm SoC vendors
about open-sourcing their code and I think we can be pretty happy with what
we've achieved so far, even though we can always try to do even better. The
reason those ARM64 servers are heading the x86 route of running proprietary
UEFI (and, worst of all, implementing ACPI) is because no corporation with
sufficient influence is trying to guide them in the other direction. If it
wasn't for Chromebooks, the Arm laptop market might be going the same way.
That is also corporate influence.