[coreboot] Why do we have FSP-S

Aaron Durbin adurbin at google.com
Tue May 1 16:42:48 CEST 2018

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 9:46 PM, Taiidan at gmx.com <Taiidan at gmx.com> wrote:
> Like I have said I believe the gradual encroachment of blobs and corporate
> control will end up leaving coreboot dead in the water and eventually even

Can you articulate what 'corporate control' is impacting coreboot? I'm
curious as to what particular things have transpired that impacted the
platforms you care about.

As for Google, we obviously heavily rely on coreboot for shipping
products. coreboot is very much an enormous piece of the foundation we
use for shipping millions of products. Some of those products are blob
free while others aren't because of the vendors' decisions. That said,
the investment put into coreboot is not insignificant, and I don't
envision Google abandoning coreboot any time soon.

That said, what are your thoughts for rectifying the problems you
perceive? Is it to have all corporate contributors leave the project?
Fork the project? Only support very old systems or the TALOS 2? How
does that jive with companies that want to use coreboot in shipping
modern platforms?