[coreboot] Why do we have FSP-S

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Tue May 1 05:46:33 CEST 2018

Like I have said I believe the gradual encroachment of blobs and
corporate control will end up leaving coreboot dead in the water and
eventually even code not related to platform initiation will be blobbed,
coreboot will be an open source project only in theory not in reality -
the only boards that work with coreboot v8 or w/e will be unobtainable
development boards requiring not just blobs but an NDA and special
connections to obtain.

Lets say 10 years from now, will there be a coreboot? I doubt it - you
can't sustain a project like this without passion and people who believe
in freedom not fake "freedom" (ie: a certain company who entertains the
idea that x86 can still be free with some kind of magic)

Then again in a decade you probably won't even be able to run the
programs you want on a computer without approval and submission of a
scanned passport and CS masters degree let alone firmware - look on the
list today and you will see people who entertain the concept that
computing freedom is simply not "safe" for those not blessed and tell me
that isn't the future?

On 04/30/2018 11:11 PM, Zoran Stojsavljevic wrote:> >> OpenPOWER's
actually shipping open POWER9 systems right now >> with source code. Why
not go down that route?
Here here! - freedom today not tomorrow!

> > The only obstacle to this one is the price. If the price goes 2x
down, > it would be the perfect technical solution. :-) >If you assemble
your own TALOS 2 it costs less than a proprietary intel/AMD platform
with equivilant performance and features, and I consider this a miracle
- it isn't meant to compete price wise with a bargain basement x86 dell
"server" or what not.

The idea too is that you will have it for quite longer than a normal PC,
as it is very fast, high quality (assembled in usa!), and you will
continue receiving security updates for much longer than with most boards.
If someone is very broke they can always get one of the cheaper
coreboot-libre boards which still function and are easily available.