[coreboot] RISC-V HiFive Unleashed board added to coreboot - has PCI-e slots via exp board

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Mon Jun 25 01:35:51 CEST 2018

On 24.06.2018 23:52, Timothy Pearson wrote:
> On 06/24/2018 03:43 PM, Nico Huber wrote:

>>> I can't understand what their target audience is? who would buy such a
>>> thing? who do they intend to sell these to? I mean the open source
>>> people can buy the now very affordable Talos 2L and the cheap-soc people
>>> can buy one of the many of ARM boards that litter the marketplace...I
>>> don't get it.
>>
>> I don't think you can compare the HiFive Unleashed with the Talos. They
>> really target completely different people and use cases. You could as
>> well ask, why produce smart watches, when people can afford the Talos?
>>
>> Talos is a workstation it doesn't fit anywhere but a workplace where
>> somebody else pays the power bill. So you can't even compare it to
>> cheap ARM SBCs, HiFive aside. It's a professional product, nothing to
>> play with, but something to work with. And it's open. It is marketed
>> as open. It is designed to be open. It is based on an open platform.
>
> I just want to counter this one point.  POWER9 is absolutely not power
> hungry.  I've seen the 8-core chips idle at under 10W, with active loads
> maybe in the 40-60W range.  We're dogfooding one machine in a typical
> office setting, and it dissipates nearly no heat -- it's using less
> power than the older Xeon it replaced.

Hmmm, yeah, just twist my words as you wish. I never said that it is
power hungry compared to other workstation systems. I did not even state
that it is power hungry at all. All I said is that it needs power and
somebody has to pay for that too.

Now you show off with random numbers that make things really weird. 10W
for what? per chip? or per core? Whatever it is, I hope your office has
air conditioning. And than that "it's using less power than the older
Xeon", omg really? you're system is better than shit?

Nico