[coreboot] RISC-V HiFive Unleashed board added to coreboot - has PCI-e slots via exp board

Timothy Pearson tpearson at raptorengineering.com
Sun Jun 24 23:52:21 CEST 2018

On 06/24/2018 03:43 PM, Nico Huber wrote:
> On 24.06.2018 21:37, Taiidan at gmx.com wrote:
>> On 06/24/2018 02:59 PM, ron minnich wrote:

>>> and ... there ends my interest in the hifive. A shame.
>>>

>> I can't understand what their target audience is? who would buy such a
>> thing? who do they intend to sell these to? I mean the open source
>> people can buy the now very affordable Talos 2L and the cheap-soc people
>> can buy one of the many of ARM boards that litter the marketplace...I
>> don't get it.
>
> I don't think you can compare the HiFive Unleashed with the Talos. They
> really target completely different people and use cases. You could as
> well ask, why produce smart watches, when people can afford the Talos?
>
> Talos is a workstation it doesn't fit anywhere but a workplace where
> somebody else pays the power bill. So you can't even compare it to
> cheap ARM SBCs, HiFive aside. It's a professional product, nothing to
> play with, but something to work with. And it's open. It is marketed
> as open. It is designed to be open. It is based on an open platform.

I just want to counter this one point.  POWER9 is absolutely not power
hungry.  I've seen the 8-core chips idle at under 10W, with active loads
maybe in the 40-60W range.  We're dogfooding one machine in a typical
office setting, and it dissipates nearly no heat -- it's using less
power than the older Xeon it replaced.

--
Timothy Pearson
Raptor Engineering