[coreboot] Power off in Coreboot?

David Hendricks david.hendricks at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 23:41:29 CET 2018

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 1:59 PM, Julius Werner <jwerner at chromium.org> wrote:

> In grepping the sources I see the API is provided and only used in a
>> handful of cases, mainly x86.
>>
>> On an ARMv8 target is there a power-off use-case for Coreboot?
>> This is strictly from Coreboot perspective, not Depthcharge.
>>

> You're right, there is no globally standardized power off API in coreboot,
> it's only implemented internally by select chipsets. There is no ARM target
> that implements something like this at the moment, because they don't
> really need to.

Indeed, hlt() is just an infinite loop as currently implemented on aarch64
and that's only used if CONFIG_FATAL_ASSERTS is set as a debug option.

I think the prevailing wisdom is that coreboot always has to try to load
the payload. An error path that shuts down the machine isn't very helpful
to a user, though perhaps that is not always true if we can log an error
(e.g. to RW_ELOG on boot ROM) and the user can retrieve it out-of-band
(systems with a BMC, etc).