[coreboot] I want to be a contributor (Cloud Dai)

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 20:44:12 CET 2018

On Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 11:22 AM Taiidan at gmx.com <Taiidan at gmx.com> wrote:

> Can you explain why this is a bad thing?
> And in terms of quality you mean when it comes to the port?, the
> facebook OpenBMC? or the IBM OpenBMC? (what is the difference anyway?
> why did facebook make their own?)

The main complaint that has been put to me by several vendors is the 1 GiB
footprint on the OpenBMC they've looked at. They'd like to see if a smaller
memory footprint system if possible. Also, since in at least one case they
are using NERF on the main x86 CPU, they'd like to have NERF on both the
main CPU and the BMC. It simplifies their life immensely to have a common
code base on both CPUs, and NERF makes that easy: I've tested NERF on small
ARM systems and it works fine, and it hardly needs 1 GiB to function.

ron