[coreboot] Server systems shipped with coreboot

Trammell Hudson hudson at trmm.net
Wed Jan 17 23:04:50 CET 2018

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 07:29:18PM +0100, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> [...]
> At 34C3 I was told by someone that a major vendor has been shipping
> servers with coreboot without announcing this, and I unfortunately
> neither remember the server model nor who told me about this.

Hi, Carl-Daniel.  We chatted at CCC about LinuxBoot servers, which are
somewhere in between.  The design uses the SEC and PEI portions of the
vendor firmware to do CPU and memory bringup, then hands control to a
Linux kernel as a replacement for the DXE phase.

There is an effort to support the Open Compute hardware with the
LinuxBoot firmware, and the newer OCP nodes already come with OpenBMC.

--
Trammell