[coreboot] Microcode updates for slightly older intel CPU's re: meltdown/spectre

Ivan Ivanov qmastery16 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 18:21:11 CET 2018

 > If I compare the Lenovo X230 to Lenovo G505s this looks like a step
back: the G505s is targeted at another audience that Lenovo ThinkPad
Users. It looks to me like an entry level desktop, which is also very
bulky (without the additional performance of a W540).
> CPU comparison X230 CPU vs G505s
> AMD_A6-Series_for_Notebooks_A6-5350M_vs_Intel_Core_i5_Mobile_i5-3360M_(BGA)
> Also the G505s has less cores/no HT

Sorry, but what are you comparing with? G505S is a laptop, not a
desktop. and G505S laptop has been sold with different CPUs (which are
removable),
as well as at least three motherboard versions! ( only integrated GPU
/ integrated + HD 8570M discrete / integrated + R5 M230 discrete )

That A6-5350M cpu you have been comparing to - could be found at the
very low end version of G505S, and this A6 is probably not even
supported by coreboot
Most (if not all) of G505S+coreboot owners here - have A10-5750M AMD
CPU which is a powerful quad core CPU with functional virtualization,
not 2 core weak A6-5350M

So, this link should have been
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/815/AMD_A10-Series_for_Notebooks_A10-5750M_vs_Intel_Core_i5_Mobile_i5-3360M_(BGA).html

Looks like the performance of A10-5750M (G505S cpu) and i5-3360M (X230
cpu) is almost the same,
but now we should substract 5-30% or even more from i5-3360M
benchmarks - because the Meltdown vulnerability, for which this
horrible "5-30% or even more slowdown patch" is required ---> is Intel
specific vulnerability ( cpu_insecure , as reported by Linux kernel )

And... "thanks" to Intel Meltdown, the results are suddenly very
favorable for A10-5750M CPU, and for G505S in general

Best regards,
Ivan Ivanov