[coreboot] Microcode updates for slightly older intel CPU's re: meltdown/spectre

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Thu Jan 11 11:05:37 CET 2018

Hi Taiidan,

On 11.01.2018 03:55, Taiidan at gmx.com wrote:
> I am curious of any intel insiders know if there will be microcode
> updates released for older intel CPU's (ex: sandy/ivybridge) and failing
> that, what can be done in regards to securing them from meltdown/spectre.
>
> I believe this is a relevant coreboot topic considering how many
> coreboot boards have these and older CPU's....without a fix there will
> be only one coreboot compatible laptop with open source hardware
> initiation that is remotely secure (lenovo g505s as has a pre-PSP AMD
> CPU) and theoretically owner controllable

you seem to be misinformed about the G505s. There is no open-source gfx
init for AMD (not in firmware, not in the OS), so within your require-
ments it's not usable as a laptop.

> (as the previous C2D/C2Q's
> such as the X200 are now permanently insecure without intervention from
> intel apparently)

It depends on the software you run. Please read more about Meltdown and
Spectre. When you understood it, you can still start to worry.

> At this point even a massive performance loss is better than having to
> throw out so much now-useless hardware.

Yes? and that can be accomplished without microcode updates, AFAIK.

Nico