[coreboot] usb3/xhci issues with coreboot on Thinkpad x230

merino at aaathats3as.com merino at aaathats3as.com
Fri Jan 5 11:17:21 CET 2018

On 2018-01-04 22:19, Nico Huber wrote:
> On 04.01.2018 15:31, merino at aaathats3as.com wrote:
>> On 2018-01-02 20:49, Nico Huber wrote:
>>> As you mentioned that you didn't change other settings, may I assume
>>> that you run the same ME firmware with coreboot and vendor during
>>> your
>>> tests? also, is your ME firmware in its original state?
>>
>> I'm sorry, I missed that. Intel ME was neutralized with me_cleaner.
>> This is for both my tests with coreboot and with stock BIOS.
>
> Please always retest with fully functional ME firmware.
Okay. I'll get back to this once I have aquired all needed eqipment
to flash my bios chip externally. Makes it a bit easier to debug
this further.

> o Are the drives you tested all SuperSpeed devices?
Yes.

> o Do the ports work when using the EHCI controller?
>   (The ports can be switched to either xHCI or EHCI. In Linux you'd
>    just only load the EHCI driver and not the xHCI one, don't know
>    about OpenBSD.)
I'm not sure if I can switch to EHCI. However EHCI seems to be
USB 2.0 only[1]. Found a way to disable xHCI during boot, I'll try
that out.

> o Did you ever test with another OS?
Not yet. Going to do that next. Can do that without getting equipment
for external flashing.

> o Can you provide a dmesg from a run with vendor BIOS?
> o Can OpenBSD boot/run without BIOS help? If so, could you test with
>   a different payload?
OpenBSD can be booted via coreboot using SeaBIOS or GRUB2. However it's
not possible to use FDE with the GRUB2 payload. Therefore I'd rather not
use it.

Thank you for your help so far.
-merino

[1] https://man.openbsd.org/ehci