[coreboot] How to properly conform with GPLv2 for Coreboot and SeaBIOS on an embedded system

David Hendricks david.hendricks at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 02:00:42 CET 2018

On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 10:05 PM, Lewis, Ian (Microstar Laboratories) <
ilewis at mstarlabs.com> wrote:

> With a few minutes spent looking, it is not at all clear to me how Siemens
> handles their GPL responsibility and whether they attempt to provide
> compliance for their customers or not.

For their part, Siemens releases the code upstream:
https://review.coreboot.org/cgit/coreboot.git/tree/src/mainboard/siemens

As with your case the firmware for their products is basically invisible to
the customer. Nevertheless if the customer wants to examine the code or
make changes they can easily do so. Relevant license information is found
in the header of each source code file as well as the COPYING file at the
root of the coreboot directory.

Werner (cc'd) might be able to share some more details about how they
handle compliance matters.