[coreboot] I want to be a contributor (Cloud Dai)

Timothy Pearson tpearson at raptorengineering.com
Tue Feb 20 20:29:35 CET 2018

There's a modest single digit performance boost at isoclock, but the
63xx series also has the fastest core you will see in the
owner-controlled x86 world (3.8GHz).  The 62xx tops out at 3.6GHz.

Both are 32nm and completely obsolete by modern standards.  The POWER9
chip for instance will run circles around either one of these, so I'd
say rather than looking for maximum absolute performance at high cost,
go for the 62xx series.  It'll still last you a long time for moderate
computing needs.

On 02/20/2018 01:12 PM, Elisenda Cuadros wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it really worth 63xx series instead 62xx?
>
> They are _much more_ expensive.
>
> Is there any public benchmark?
>
> Regards,
>
> - Eli
>

> On 20/02/18 10:46, Taiidan at gmx.com wrote:
>> On 02/20/2018 01:29 AM, 戴,曉政 via coreboot wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Taiidan,
>>>
>>> I have get KGPE-D16 motherboard from auction website but I find that
>>> AMD 6328 CPU is too expensive ($499 USD).  As well as 6386SE CPU is
>>> more expensive than 6328 CPU so please give me a favor. Please list
>>> some cheaper AMD CPUs name that can be built successfully  when I use
>>> KGPE-D16 motherboard to install coreboot.
>> Right now on ebay I also see a 6328 for $130 and a 6386SE for
>> $225/best offer (the last and best owner controlled x86-64 CPU, get
>> one while you can IMO).
>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Opteron-OS6386YETGGHK-16-Core-2-8GHz-16MB-6-4GT-s-Server-CPU/222837140766
>>
>> This one is in good condition (note the straight as an arrow
>> capacitors on the bottom with none missing)
>>
>> FYI don't buy a CPU that has missing bottom capacitors or scratches on
>> the pads, always ask a seller for a photo of the bottom if you buy a
>> G34 CPU like the 6386SE.
>>>   I know my English is very poor,
>> Naah it is fine :]

- --