[coreboot] Does the coreboot build system support external patches?

Jay Talbott JayTalbott at sysproconsulting.com
Thu Feb 1 18:53:38 CET 2018

I got this question from a client yesterday that I didn't know how to answer
because I focus primarily on the porting effort (getting coreboot to build
and boot for their hardware) and let the client figure out how they want to
manage the resulting code base once the porting effort is complete. So I
offered to inquire of the coreboot community to see if anybody can provide
an answer for my client.

Below is the inquiry that I received:

I'm looking at how best to structure our coreboot repositories.  Does the
coreboot build system support the concept of external patches? With
buildroot you can keep your changes is a directory tree separate from the
FOSS tree. Then during the build step your patches get applied and compiled
using another separate build tree.

Thanks,

- Jay

Jay Talbott