[coreboot] KGPE-D16/KCMA-D8 Tip: Force sensor module load order to avoid the improper changing of hwmon paths which breaks fancontrol

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Thu Dec 13 03:18:26 CET 2018

On 12/11/2018 05:34 PM, Timothy Pearson wrote:

> On 12/10/2018 07:48 PM, Taiidan at gmx.com wrote:
>> Applicable to:
>> SP5100 AMD C32/G34 systems such as the KCMA-D8 and KGPE-D16.
>>
>> Situation: If you don't have OpenBMC installed you need to run
>> pwmconfig/fancontrol to manage fan speeds.
>>
>> Problem:
>> Normally the hwmon paths will change almost every boot resulting in the
>> need to run pwmconfig repeatedly or fix them manually in /etc/fancontrol
>> - this was driving me nuts so I searched for and found a solution.
>>
>> Solution:
>> Create a .conf file in /etc/modprobe.d/ to set sensor module load order
>> with these contents then reboot and fix the hwmon paths in your
>> /etc/fancontrol, reboot again and all should be well :D
>>
>> softdep fam15h_power pre: k10temp
>> softdep k10temp pre: jc42
>> softdep jc42 pre: w83795g
>> softdep w83795g pre: radeon
>>

> We should probably create a board documentation tips/tricks section in
> GIT since the Wiki is no longer available.

Or create a website with a copy of the wiki.

> Side note: I still wish there was an easier way to do this; I never
> bothered transferring documentation to GIT because of the added time /
> complexity vs. the Wiki WYSIWYG editor.

Ditto

I edited and made a variety of very helpful wiki pages but even after
the community voted to keep the wiki the powers that be got rid of it
just the same.

When I have some extra cash I am going to create my own coreboot wiki
website with a copy of the previous one since whomever is in charge no
longer wishes to host it and I am not willing to transfer everything
especially without an easy editor and ability to add images/charts
etc...the latest mediawiki version has a top notch WYSIWYG editor!

I feel as though not many people really care about nurturing the
non-developer power-user part of the coreboot community, it is choices
like getting rid of the easy to edit wiki that discourage potential
users by making things seem more difficult and out of principal I simply
refuse to give my "real" name (like there is any way for them to check)
to obtain a git account.

Despite what people say it was quite easy for me to obtain a wiki
account I just followed the instructions and got one a week later
(although you might have had something to do with that :3]