[coreboot] Asus KGPE-D16 with latest coreboot errors with Unsupported Hardware on Qubes 4 install missing IOMMU?

Timothy Pearson tpearson at raptorengineering.com
Sat Dec 8 05:08:42 CET 2018

On 12/03/2018 04:35 AM, Felix Held wrote:
> Hi!
>

>> No idea why combined mode is the default, it's only useful for OSes from
>> the '90s. It's not about the type of drives (SATA vs PATA) connected but
>> how the SATA controller identifies itself to the OS.
>

> I agree that the combined mode isn't the best default, but I can't say
> that it's totally useless. In combined mode you have the first 4(?) SATA
> ports connected to an AHCI controller and the last 2(?) to a legacy
> IDE/ATA controller. I had some SATA->PATA bridge to connect a PATA
> device to a mainboard and the adapter I had only worked on SATA ports
> that were connected to a legacy IDE/ATA controller, but not on SATA
> ports connected to an AHCI controller. I didn't further debug that issue
> though, so I can't say why it didn't work on an AHCI controller.
>

> Speaking of the KGPE-D16: I still have this patch [0] in my review queue
> that is needed for coreboot to work on the board when the BMC firmware
> flash is installed, but it seems that neither Timothy nor owners of that
> board really care about that patch any more (I poked a few people about
> that patch a few times), which I find quite sad. Would be good if
> someone would address the last 3 comments and actually tests the patch
> on the real hardware, so it can be merged to fix that show-stopper.
>

> Regards
>
> Felix

First, thanks for the patch and work on the KGPE-D16.  I've been meaning
to do a better job at helping maintain the platform, but right now life
has gotten somewhat in the way in that I haven't had proper access to
the KGPE-D16 development system in quite a while (space taken up with
Talos / Blackbird boards for the most part).

Things should settle down some after Christmas, so I'll see what I can
do to pull the old D16 dev platform back out at that time and start
testing / merging patches.  Are there any others that I should also help
take a look at?

- --
Timothy Pearson
Raptor Engineering