[coreboot] [URGENT] - The KCMA-D8 is going to be removed from coreboot unless people cough up a board status update

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 22:59:37 CEST 2018

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 3:38 PM Taiidan at gmx.com <Taiidan at gmx.com> wrote:

> At the rate things are going soon there will be no non-development
> boards that are still in the repos due to the arbitrary increasing of
> standards.

I can tell you, based on the 19 years of this project's existence, that it
was not arbitrary, and it was not increasing. We have had to continuously
evaluate what boards to keep visible at tip of tree and which to drop.
We've obsoleted dead hardware for years -- it's why the Alpha and PPC
support went away long ago.

There's a clear cost to keeping boards in tip of tree which no one is
using. To use an easy case, keeping Alpha in would require us to continue
making sure it built, but without any assurance that it worked. "Just
builds" is a bad policy, as we've learned over and over again.

A few years back we formalized the criteria by which we deprecate boards.
And it's simple: if there is no evidence that a board has been tested for a
long enough period of time, we drop it from tip of tree, because there's no
way to know if a build from tip of tree will work. You do NOT want boards
in tip of tree unless you know they work. As has been pointed out, many
times, the board doesn't disappear from the git repo. You have only to
check out the coreboot version in which the board was known to work.

On a side note, I would request that you make your language less
confrontational. You keep characterizing decisions you don't agree with as
"wrong." We can disagree without being disagreeable.

ron