[coreboot] How to handle vbt.bin

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Thu Apr 5 18:29:02 CEST 2018

On 05.04.2018 18:15, Matt DeVillier wrote:
> my instinct is to put it in the 3rd party blobs repo, since it's added to
> the CBFS w/o modification (ie, is treated like a blob), unlike the SPD hex
> files which are selectively ordered and assembled into the spd.bin (ie,
> treated as source).

Files are concatenated, I don't see how this is treating sth. as source.

> For the example case you sited of users building coreboot images for
> Chromebooks (eg), they still need numerous other platform/device specific
> blobs (ie, FSP), so having the vbt alone in the main repo is really not of
> any consequence.

That's very wrong. For instance I would have added Skylake+ backlight
support to coreboot over a year ago if the information wasn't hidden in
a secret lair. Not having information published early and conveniently
accessible is always of consequence. You might just not know in what
ways yet. ;)

> I'd also like to see those other required blobs in the
> 3rd party blobs repo, but that's an entirely separate issue :)

True.

Nico