[coreboot] Question about internat flashing over existing coreboot payloads - x220

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Tue Sep 12 11:14:54 CEST 2017

diffusae via coreboot wrote:
> > which EC do you mean? why would it be irritated?
>
> I mean the EC firmware of the x220, for keyboard, power management and
> battery, etc. Or is it located on a different chip? I see, it's not part
> of the flash chip layout.

Keyboard and power management tends to be split into two on
Thinkpads, but in any case yes, those controllers generally either
have separate flash for firmware or are ASICs without firmware.

> Yes, you are right, but the warning sounds so strange. ;-)

It originates from good intentions of course, "better safe than
sorry", but I think it is a bug to display it when it actually does not
apply.

> > Flashrom contains imprecise blanket statements.
>
> Good to know

Flashrom could be improved to not display some of them when they are
known not to apply, such as in your case, but there are other cases
where flashrom can't really know if the warning is needed or not.
That's more difficult.

> > Be careful, and always have a way to recover from a non-working image.
>
> An external SPI Flasher and a working image should be one way.

Yep - excellent!

> BTW: USB 3.0 is working, but one can't boot it via SeaBIOS.

Maybe send a message to the SeaBIOS mailing list about that. I don't
know if that is actually expected to work. Sorry.

//Peter