[coreboot] Question about internat flashing over existing coreboot payloads - x220

diffusae diffusae at yahoo.se
Tue Sep 12 02:19:13 CEST 2017

Thanks a lot for your answer.

On 12.09.2017 01:29, Peter Stuge wrote:
> diffusae via coreboot wrote:
>> "Once you are running coreboot any subsequent flashes can be done
>> internally, however you will have to force flashrom"
>>
>> https://www.coreboot.org/Board:lenovo/x220
>>
>> Is that really possible, without any risk? Doesn't it irritating the
>> embedded controller? Can I ignore the flashrom warnings?
>
> Yes. No (which EC do you mean? why would it be irritated? why is the
> output of a random program automatically correct?). Yes.

I mean the EC firmware of the x220, for keyboard, power management and
battery, etc. Or is it located on a different chip? I see, it's not part
of the flash chip layout.

Yes, you are right, but the warning sounds so strange. ;-)

> Flashrom contains imprecise blanket statements.

Good to know

> Be careful, and always have a way to recover from a non-working image.

An external SPI Flasher and a working image should be one way.

BTW: USB 3.0 is working, but one can't boot it via SeaBIOS.

Regards,
Reiner

--

.