[coreboot] greetings and laptop questions

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Tue Oct 10 02:42:32 CEST 2017

On 09.10.2017 00:15, Taiidan at gmx.com wrote:
> their version of coreboot is
> nothing more than a wrapper layer for intel FSP (binary blob that does
> all the hardware init) which is next to pointless for the amount of
> money you would spend on one as all it does is move trust from vendor to
> OEM not avoiding the hypothetical OEM firmware backdoors.

I've seen that mentioned a lot and can only say: Please stop spreading
that FUD about coreboot. Even with blobed silicon init, coreboot still
gives you about 80% of the freedom of a free firmware. You only have
to trust in one party that provides the blob and not in n parties that
put their code into the usual Windows booting firmware. coreboot, even
blobed, also gives you much more freedom about the platform configu-
ration and the boot process as a whole.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like FSP either (from a developer point of
view, it makes coreboot porting twice as hard and 10 times more frus-
trating if something doesn't work right away). You can stomp on it as
you wish. But please don't disgrace coreboot.

Nico