[coreboot] greetings and laptop questions

Zoran Stojsavljevic zoran.stojsavljevic at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 05:08:45 CEST 2017

> I am looking at a new laptop, and one of my options is a Dell Precision
7510 (I like the quad-core and loads of RAM available)
> but I would like to not use a vendor BIOS.

I see... SKL-S ->  Intel® Core™ i7-6820HQ

INTEL claims on these babies to have the following:
https://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/anton-shilov/intel-alters-design-of-skylake-processors-to-enable-sgx-extensions/

SGX: Intel Software Guard Extensions (Intel SGX
<https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2013/09/26/protecting-application-secrets-with-intel-sgx>
)

What are the requirements? Why you do not want UEFI BIOS on the machine?
Any specific reasons for that?

I see only one serious reason: you don't want ME to work on this machine,
since you do not trust to ME as the base of the unknown arc/x86 (quark ?)
based applications running in its own 32MB space close to TOLUD.

If you do have bare metal (type 1) HYP and run several VMs, does this
assure the security and well protected VM space, regardless UEFI BIOS
below? Anyone?

Thank you,
Zoran
_______