[coreboot] [RFC] Removing RTC configurable baud rate

Arthur Heymans arthur at aheymans.xyz
Fri May 12 21:59:51 CEST 2017

Hi

In the latest CCM[1] the question was raised whether someone still uses
the configuration option baud_rate from RTC nvram (CMOS) and if not
maybe think about removing this.

The issues raised with this code were:
* they are an extra burden to maintain since console init is done over
multiple stages and needs different code paths over ROMCC and GCC;
* Its not buildtested so easy to miss breakages;
* Many boards don't have an cmos.defaults so it often ends up at weird
settings.

Granted many of these issues need separate fixing anyway: we need
cmos.default on each board that has cmos.layout, default Kconfig options
could be changed to build test this.

So the question is: is someone still using the possibility to configure
uart baud rates from rtc nvram. (Keep in mind that is still possible to
set the default baud rate from Kconfig options)

I already created a RFC patch that removes it:
https://review.coreboot.org/#/c/19682/

[1] https://mail.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-May/084266.html
CCM report

Kind regards