[coreboot] Can we please stop hiding semantic changes behind "found by checkpatch" (Re: New Defects reported by Coverity Scan for coreboot)

Nico Huber nico.huber at secunet.com
Fri Mar 24 16:58:41 CET 2017

Hi all,

don't get me wrong, I think style fixes are a good thing and appreciate
that people take the time for it. However, if we do massive changes to
comply with a tool like checkpatch.pl, we should make sure that single
commits either change style only, or really fix something which should
then be mentioned in the commit message.

With many changes in one commit, the former is hard to review but can
be verified by reproducibility of the binaries beyond the patch. We
have an option to exclude commit information in the resulting image:
`make BUILD_TIMELESS=1 what-jenkins-does` should do the trick.

Can we set up a Jenkins job for that? either manually triggered to help
the reviewer or maybe even automatically by a tag like `BUILD=binary-
stable`?.

Regards,
Nico