[coreboot] Flash error - Board information not found

Martin Roth gaumless at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 18:22:03 CET 2017

Hi Kory,
  I'm not sure what the proprietary software is, but you're going to
want to use flashrom or a hardware flash tool instead of the
proprietary software to flash the ROM.
https://www.flashrom.org/Flashrom

And just since it always needs to be said:

 You need to make sure you have a backup of *YOUR* original ROM before
you flash to coreboot.  Do NOT rely on the OEM's ROM file for
recovery, as there may be information specific to your board stored on
your ROM chip.  Save this backup, as you may discover you needed
something from it at some later date.  Using a hardware solution to
create this backup is the best method because the onboard SPI
controller may not be able to read from the entire chip.

Updating your board to coreboot has a high chance of bricking your
board.  It's recommended that you have a sure way of recovering - Get
a spare ROM chip if the chip is socketed.  If it's not, get a hardware
flash solution so you can re-flash the chip even if the board is dead.
The Raspberry-pi or  BeagleBone Black are two popular solutions.  You
can search for information about how to do this.

Martin