[coreboot] Lenovo Thinkpad X201: cannot boot encrypted Debian w/Coreboot & GRUB2

Sam Kuper sam.kuper at uclmail.net
Thu Mar 23 13:00:39 CET 2017

On 22/03/2017, Sam Kuper <sam.kuper at uclmail.net> wrote:
>> On 22/03/2017, Nico Huber <nico.h at gmx.de> wrote:
>>> Easiest option seems to be to select CONFIG_MAINBOARD_DO_NATIVE_VGA_INIT
>>
> Based on your suggestion above, I kept everything as described in my
> first email in this thread, except that to build Coreboot, I also
> selected "Use native graphics initialization" under "Devices" within
> `make nconfig`. (This sets CONFIG_MAINBOARD_DO_NATIVE_VGA_INIT=y in
> the .config .)
>
> Unfortunately, my results were exactly the same as before, except that
> this time the backlight came on. In particular, no GRUB2 prompt
> appeared.

I tried again, this time with SeaBIOS instead of GRUB2 as the primary
payload, and with CoreInfo as a secondary payload. As above, I
selected "Use native graphics initialization" under "Devices" within
`make nconfig`. (See attached .config .)

The result was the same as above: the backlight came on, but there was
nothing displayed on the screen.

I do think you are probably right about this issue (i.e. nothing being
displayed on the screen) being due to a failure to initialise the
graphics properly, and I am open to further attempts to overcome the
issue, as my time allows.

Is there anyone on the list who has Coreboot working on an X201 who
would be willing to share their .config file, so that I might see how
they succeeded where I am failing?

Thanks!