[coreboot] Lenovo Thinkpad X201: cannot boot encrypted Debian w/Coreboot & GRUB2

Sam Kuper sam.kuper at uclmail.net
Wed Mar 22 22:51:45 CET 2017

On 22/03/2017, Sam Kuper <sam.kuper at uclmail.net> wrote:
> On 22/03/2017, Nico Huber <nico.h at gmx.de> wrote:
>> On 22.03.2017 17:03, Sam Kuper wrote:
>> The GRUB payload, by default, doesn't have any configuration file and
>> will wait at the prompt (no matter if the disk is encrypted or not).
>
> Good to have this confirmed. From a GRUB prompt, I hope I will be able
> to find and boot the Debian installation.
>
>>> In any case, how would more
>>> experienced Corebooters suggest I proceed?
>>
>> Easiest option seems to be to select CONFIG_MAINBOARD_DO_NATIVE_VGA_INIT
>
> [Will] try it ASAP. Thank you!

Thanks again for this suggestion. I do feel it's getting me closer to
having Coreboot boot to Debian with FDE on the X201. However, there's
still a way to go...

Based on your suggestion above, I kept everything as described in my
first email in this thread, except that to build Coreboot, I also
selected "Use native graphics initialization" under "Devices" within
`make nconfig`. (This sets CONFIG_MAINBOARD_DO_NATIVE_VGA_INIT=y in
the .config .)

Unfortunately, my results were exactly the same as before, except that
this time the backlight came on. In particular, no GRUB2 prompt
appeared.

Is this expected? From your email, it sounds as though it isn't what
you expected.

I would be grateful for additional suggestions from you or other
experienced Corebooters :)

Thanks again!